I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Anybody have a XR650L?

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Anybody have a XR650L?

Post by Firebolter »

Looking at replacing my 06 Husky SM610 with a more dirt friendly Big Dualie for adventure rides and general cruising where I do not need my 525/310.
Was curious about valve movement. I know these things are tanks and live a long life with minimal work, but was curious about how the valve train is?

I have never read about anything bad about the XR-L except it is heavy (~340lbs). That is only about 20lbs heavier than my Husky 610 and I have ridden it in the trails with not much issue except for tires/suspension not the best for single track.
Lots of cool bikes---
zamobro9
DAMN Expert

Re: Anybody have a XR650L?

Post by zamobro9 »

I have one.
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

zamobro9 wrote:I have one.
Any comments on the valves? Do they move much (IRT spec tolerance)? Assume they are lock nut/post arrangement?
Lots of cool bikes---
zamobro9
DAMN Expert

Post by zamobro9 »

I don't know, I just ride it and change the oil, and sometimes sink it in river crossings. It's got 5k miles on it and runs like a scalded ape
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

Cool, that's what I figured. Thanks
Lots of cool bikes---
motojunky
DAMN Poohba

Post by motojunky »

I've had a couple of them and have never seen any significant valve movement. I did a fair amount of road trip type riding and like XRs do, they just kept on running.

Valve checks/adjustments are super quick. The hardest part is washing the mud off. :lol2:

All that said, why not just change wheels on the Husky, or run some odd sized knobbies on the SM wheels? I know a girl who does this and as far as I know she's been happy with that setup. I love XRs but have to think the Husky is a better starting point...
old dual sported XR250R
scorpa SY250 trials
some other crap
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

motojunky wrote:I've had a couple of them and have never seen any significant valve movement. I did a fair amount of road trip type riding and like XRs do, they just kept on running.

Valve checks/adjustments are super quick. The hardest part is washing the mud off. :lol2:

All that said, why not just change wheels on the Husky, or run some odd sized knobbies on the SM wheels? I know a girl who does this and as far as I know she's been happy with that setup. I love XRs but have to think the Husky is a better starting point...

I have considered that (mucking with the wheels) but I also like the idea of a good old air cooled tank for using to lay out adv courses, ride to work some and just put gas in it. Husky has been a good bike, and I do like it, but I think overall, the XR would be a better choice. Not to mention, the aftermarket for the XR is enormous and if/when you need parts or repairs, the Honda is dirt cheap compared to the Husky. The valves have moved a bit on the Husky so far in only 3500 miles. I love my 525 DS but it is not good for running on the Highway for extended periods.

The cost to make the Husky more dirt ready is rims/tires, front brake rotor/caliper and some kind of caliper re-locator (assuming there is one). Probably be easier to buy a TE front end. Then I will need to also muck with the gearing (sprockets). It is an easy conversion to go to SM from Dirt, but alot harder to go the other way mostly because of the brake/fork set up on the SM's. If I have to spend 1500 or so, might as well get a XR for another 4500. I can get a new 2012 for 6100 OTD till the end of Dec. That's why I am considering this, especially since I have no issues selling the Husky.

thanks for the info
Lots of cool bikes---
Hammer
DAMN n00b

Post by Hammer »

I have one and ride mostly off road. bought it used with 3500 miles, i now have 8400 and have not checked or touched the valves. It still starts and runs like the day i bought it, very good. They are good bikes, single track is not its strong suite but its not as bad as a lot of people think, i keep up with drz 400's just fine. I like the fact that if i want to do a long road trip all i need to do is change the tires and sprokets. Its the kind of bike that can alwasy go/ do what you need it to. I could ride a enduro, and with two hours of work, ride it to California. Change the oil, clean the filter and ride.
also my bike has the same battery that i bought it with, all i do it put it on a battery tender over the winter. dont know if thats a good battery or electrical system, or that i never have to crank it much for it to start.
frogman1981
DAMN Expert

Post by frogman1981 »

How about a DRZ400. They are lghter and faster (except for top end). I have 18000 on mine never needed to adjust the valves, never broke down. There is a nice after market for it aswell.
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

Thanks for all the info. DRZs are cool, but for extended trips on freeway or cruising along at 70mph on back roads, that is towards the top of the 400/450 comfort zone. My 610 Husky is a great bike and has served me well, but I would not want to go smaller than ~600cc. I can run all day at 70mph and I am sure the Honda is the same way.
Lots of cool bikes---