I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Industry standard for waterproof

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Industry standard for waterproof

Post by Rut Row »

Kris and I thing that the industry standard for an item being water proof is based on gallons per hour - as in permits versus repels. We rode from Radisson back to Matagami (8 hours) in nearly constant rain. BMW rain suits don't work very well. AST jackets leak at the arm vents despite the waterproof zippers. And Shift Waterproof Combat boots aren't! :harhar:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Roadracer_Al

Re: Industry standard for waterproof

Post by Roadracer_Al »

I think all suits and boots have some weaknesses, mainly the openings. I've never had a rain suit that didn't dribble rain down my neck. My modest proposal is that suits come with a high pressure inflatable collar. Stop pumping when you see spots.

I have a Harley rain suit. Now you're done laughing, no, it doesn't have tassels, and it's the best suit I've ever owned - thick enough that it's durable, seams are heat-welded, the zippers are sturdy, the storm flaps have enough material that they do something. And, yes, it leaks after a couple hours in the rain. In the crotch. DAMN it.

I am pretty sure that Olympia advertises the AST as having a waterproof *liner*, and makes no claim that the shell is waterproof.

I've never seen a true waterproof boot. The materials may be waterproof, but then they stitch it together, putting a zillion little holes in it.

How's the Pelican Case luggage -- is it actually waterproof?
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Re: Industry standard for waterproof

Post by Rut Row »

Got back around 6PM tonight - will post pics tomorrow

The Pelican cases worked very well and were very dry as long as you don't get something trapped in the opening when you close the lid - this is something you don't want to discover after riding in rain for 8 hours.

We decided that the "BMW" in BMW Rain Gear stands for body mostly wet.

The AST jacket, with liner, is 100% rain tight. Turns out my arms got wet due to my wicking long-sleeve shirt wicking water up my arms from my saturated gloves. The Ranger II pants were rain tight as well.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris