I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

chain life?

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
FOX8505

chain life?

Post by FOX8505 »

What kind of milage do you DAMN guys get out of your chain? I'm not the best at upkeep on the bike and would rather replace it before the end of it's service life then be caught off guard out on the trail.

I ask because I literally have no clue if a chain last 100, 1,000, or 10,000 miles. I think I tend to sell the bike and move on to a new one before chain life ever becomes a concern. the resent fall of the ecomony in addition to my ever increasing credit card balance :peep:

forces me to think differently than the past.

So I must ask...

On average, assuming all kinds of riding conditions. What kind of milage do you expect on your dual sport chain?
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: chain life?

Post by mdubya »

FOX8505 wrote:What kind of milage do you DAMN guys get out of your chain? I'm not the best at upkeep on the bike and would rather replace it before the end of it's service life then be caught off guard out on the trail.

I ask because I literally have no clue if a chain last 100, 1,000, or 10,000 miles. I think I tend to sell the bike and move on to a new one before chain life ever becomes a concern. the resent fall of the ecomony in addition to my ever increasing credit card balance :peep:

forces me to think differently than the past.

So I must ask...

On average, assuming all kinds of riding conditions. What kind of milage do you expect on your dual sport chain?
Depends on the chain really. A good top of the line DID X-ring ERV chain will last 10-12K miles is kept clean and rust free. A lesser chain will last about 6k miles is kept clean and rust free.

I run DID's on all my bikes and simply clean them with WD40. I keep all the bike inside, so no need to protect from rust. If I am going on a weekend trip (like the DAMN campout), I might coat the chain with Maxim Chain Wax, know the bike will be out in the elements for a few days.

The DIDs are expensive, but they last twice as long, which means less work for me. I also use steel sprockets which last many times longer than aluminum.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: chain life?

Post by Bucho »

I had a chain last about 20,000 miles but it was about on its last legs. But the bike had spent the first 2/3rd's of its life as almost soley a road bike. Spending life as a full time dirt bike will put alot more wear on it.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200