I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Motorcyclist dies while protesting helmet law

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Motorcyclist dies while protesting helmet law

Post by Firebolter »

Lots of cool bikes---
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Re: Motorcyclist dies while protesting helmet law

Post by Rut Row »

Darwin at work.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

I have zero sympathy for that guy.

At the end of the article ABATE says they want to have a memorial for an individual who rode for freedom and risked everything for freedom. I think that is kind of insulting to the memories of people who have fought for freedom, not just some idiot who was too cool to wear a helmet.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

see http://www.watoday.com.au/world/motorcy ... rom=smh_ft
"An officer of my group said there may have been equipment difficulties for the rider," he said. "Apparently he was riding a motorcycle that wasn't his usual one. Some vehicles have different quirks."
what a lame excuse - if anything, it reinforces the need to be wearing a helmet.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
BigBird
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by BigBird »

Bucho wrote:I have zero sympathy for that guy.

At the end of the article ABATE says they want to have a memorial for an individual who rode for freedom and risked everything for freedom. I think that is kind of insulting to the memories of people who have fought for freedom, not just some idiot who was too cool to wear a helmet.
Well Said - Couldn't Agree More
Sam Jones - Frederick MD
GL1800 DCT TRIO Tilting Trike - KTM 525 EXC - KTM 200 XCW - 2 KTM Freeride 250Rs - TRS 300 Xtrack Trials
Lots of E-Bikes/MCs
Polaris RZR 800
Lots of MTBs and Road Bikes and a BamBuk Recumbant Tandem Trike eBike
CapoGreg

Post by CapoGreg »

I have no sympathy for him either.

That being said, I don't like having a nanny government. Riding with or without a helmet should be a person's choice. I even put a helmet on even when riding the KLX from the back yard into the front yard.
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

CapoGreg wrote:I have no sympathy for him either.

That being said, I don't like having a nanny government. Riding with or without a helmet should be a person's choice. I even put a helmet on even when riding the KLX from the back yard into the front yard.

I kind of agree w/ you, I'm not a big fan of any of the laws that "save you from yourself". I think its silly for all the people in helmet law states who wear the totally useless beanie helmets. They might as well not wear anything. If you don't want to wear a helmet then don't wear a helmet.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
bonehead
DAMN Poohba

Post by bonehead »

I have alot of trouble accepting the need for a nanny state. that said, I ride with my helemt no matter where I am because it will save my life hopefully when/if I get in an accident.

I do not like big brother and frankly resent his constant and ever growing eye of "concern" for our well being.
It's All Good, So Make The Day A Good One!!!
hondahawkrider
DAMN Poohba

Post by hondahawkrider »

No sympathy - he made his choice..... How that work for ya....

I don't want helmet laws - but Im in the AGATT crowd.... That said - ABATE imho does more harm that good for motorcycle images unless they changed their events... In the mid 90s when I started riding (I'm old :deal: ) the prime spot to hang out at their events was the "BEER" truck.... The joke at the time was ABATE stood for Alcoholic Beverages At The Event.... Needless to say I didn't renew...

That said the current helmet law has some bs about what a helmet is - there is no approved list - it, the law, says something about "standards established by the Administrator" IIRC... WTF... It's like the assault gun ban - it it looks like a helmet then it is one, or worse if you stick a manufacturing label on something that says "motorcycle helmet" and TADA it is one... As with the assult ban - where i'd be ok if an assault weapon was defined by something realistic - like # of bullets it can hold, and rate of fire... I'd be ok with a helmet law if it was based on crash stats where it adheres to some standard (I don't know ... like DOT or SNell).. However, as Skinny Dicks Chrome Polished Spike WWII Helmet maker doesn't meet ANY standard - they don't want to take away the revenue from these outfits (sigh)..

I am not a fan of nanny govt - but we have things like seat belt laws... The killer is that seat belts must meet certain criteria, and should it be determined that they didn't hold up in a crach properly the manufacturer can be sued if it fails... If the same thing applied to helmets - ie - where they had criteria and the manufactuer could be sued, I would suspect 80% of allot of helmet companies would stop making helmets, and they would cost ALLOT of $$ - and there would be expiration dates on them... This would suck. So as the law sucks, and it can't really be changed - why are we spending time putting a law on the books that doesn't add up to hill of beans...

/rant off
1997/8 KTM 620 EGS-E Adventure
2013 Honda CB1100
2003 Harley Davidson Wide Glide
1999 Suzuki DR350Se
Grady
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Grady »

I feel the same way about helmets as I do seatbelts. I hate when government protects people from themselves, but I also hate paying high insurance rates. Heaven forbid, but I'd hate to be involved in an accident that was my fault and cause serious injury or death to another person which could have been prevented or lessened by a helmet or seatbelt. It would make me crazy mad to have some astronomical claim against my insurance due to someone elses poor choices. It's a catch twentytwo in my opinion. I'm torn on the subject. I believe too many idiots are saved nowadays that should have killed themselves off and removed themselves from the genepool, yet we protect and save them. However, I wouldn't want to be put in a situation where I was the one to pay for their stupidity.