I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Need advice on what bike to buy

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
cwbashaw
DAMN Wanabe

Post by cwbashaw »

I'm going to be selling my DR350 soon so I can buy a better adventure touring bike. I want something that would be good for occasional long trips the highway and still preform well on dirt roads (like the Frederick watershed). I have a trials bike for more aggressive trail riding so I won't need it for that but I will get on fire roads with it from time to time.

I'm buying a used bike in about the 3 to 4K range and the options I'm considering are...

Kawasaki Klr650
Suzuki V-strom 650
Kawasaki Versys
Bmw F650GS (preferably a Dakar if I can find a good one in my price range)

What bike would be best for me?
2015 dr650
dak
DAMN Expert

Post by dak »

I would get bmw g650x before f650 gs dakar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DAK BMW G450X RIDER
dak
DAMN Expert

Post by dak »

dak wrote:I would get bmw g650x before f650 gs dakar

Or a bmw g450x more dirt then touring

DAK BMW G450X RIDER
cwbashaw
DAMN Wanabe

Re: Need advice on what bike to buy

Post by cwbashaw »

the 450 seems like it would be great int he dirt but I wonder how it would do on the highway. I want something I could do a 200 to 300 mile day on the highway with from time to time.

I also forgot to mention the dr650 which seems to be a pretty good possibility.
2015 dr650
hondahawkrider
DAMN Poohba

Post by hondahawkrider »

cwbashaw wrote:the 450 seems like it would be great int he dirt but I wonder how it would do on the highway. I want something I could do a 200 to 300 mile day on the highway with from time to time.

I also forgot to mention the dr650 which seems to be a pretty good possibility.
BMW 450 is not a street bike, it'd be like getting a crf450...

For the money, you can't beat the klr...
1997/8 KTM 620 EGS-E Adventure
2013 Honda CB1100
2003 Harley Davidson Wide Glide
1999 Suzuki DR350Se
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

I don't think there really exists a bike that is good on the highway and good on the dirt. You need 2 different bikes, IMHO.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

mdubya wrote:I don't think there really exists a bike that is good on the highway and good on the dirt. You need 2 different bikes, IMHO.
Thats pretty true, its always gonna be a compramise.

A KLR650 or DR650 (w/ small windshield, aftermarket seat, maybe larger gas tank...) would both be nice fairly cheap bikes if you don't mind having the thumper engine. I know some people hate them and would never even think about getting on the highway w/out a multicylinder bike.
I have no experience w/ the weestrom or versys, but both should be more then adequate on the dirt roads and have plenty of power and weight for the highway.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
cwbashaw
DAMN Wanabe

Post by cwbashaw »

My DR350 has worked out pretty good for me so far, and if it had a little more top end it would be perfect. I'm thinking the dr650 is probably the way I'm going to go. When I got it I thought I would ride trails more than I do, now because I prefer riding the trials bike on the tight trails instead.

Is the DR650 fast enough to get on the highway safely? I've done 200 + mile days on the DR350 before so I don't think comfort on the 650 will be a problem for me. The 350 tops out at about 65 but that's pushing it.
2015 dr650
motojunky
DAMN Poohba

Post by motojunky »

cwbashaw wrote:My DR350 has worked out pretty good for me so far, and if it had a little more top end it would be perfect. I'm thinking the dr650 is probably the way I'm going to go. When I got it I thought I would ride trails more than I do, now because I prefer riding the trials bike on the tight trails instead.

Is the DR650 fast enough to get on the highway safely? I've done 200 + mile days on the DR350 before so I don't think comfort on the 650 will be a problem for me. The 350 tops out at about 65 but that's pushing it.
A couple of years ago (OK, 13) my buddy and I decided to do a SaddleSore 1000 (1000 miles in 24 hours). I rode my CBR600 and he rode his completely stock DR650. He cruised at 70+ for 20 hours with no issue. At last check, his bike had around 30k on it and still ran fine.

If you're bored, here's my lame ride report from back then: http://userweb.magpage.com/cfaison/ss1000.html

The DR will do the highway just fine! :thumbup:
old dual sported XR250R
scorpa SY250 trials
some other crap
cwbashaw
DAMN Wanabe

Post by cwbashaw »

Sounds like the DR is probably the way to go then.
2015 dr650