I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Need advice on what bike to buy

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: Need advice on what bike to buy

Post by Bucho »

Check out the Thumpers section over on ADVrider, the KLR vs DR has been hashed out in many different threads. For adventure touring most will go for the klr, however if you spend the money on farkles many will agree that the dr is better overall. DR w/ large tank, comfy seat, windshield, luggage rack...
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

cwbashaw wrote: I'm still torn between the dr and the klr. The KLR is starting to look better because it seems like it would be a little more fun on longer rides. I'll guess I'll just have to try both. If the klr does well on fire roads at moderate speeds it may be the best option for me.
Fire roads are no problem with a KLR :roost:

You're welcome to try my KLR. I'm toying with the idea of selling it.
You can try it out with no obligation.
Bruce
cwbashaw
DAMN Wanabe

Post by cwbashaw »

Where are you located? maybe we could meet up for a ride while I still have the DR so I can try it out. If I like it I may be interested in your klr once I sell my DR and my trials bike.
2015 dr650
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

cwbashaw wrote:Where are you located? maybe we could meet up for a ride while I still have the DR so I can try it out. If I like it I may be interested in your klr once I sell my DR and my trials bike.
PMd you.
Bruce
cwbashaw
DAMN Wanabe

Post by cwbashaw »

I finally took a pic of the DR
2015 dr650
cwbashaw
DAMN Wanabe

Post by cwbashaw »

After going back and forth on what bike to get I decided there's no way around it I need 2 bikes, so I'm buying an 05 KLR650 today, and I'm going to start saving up for a smaller dual sport around 250cc's for ripping around on the trails. I think a 250 on the trails will be way more fun than a DR650 and a KLR will be better to load up for camping and longer trips.
If I was only going to have one bike I would have gone with the DR.
2015 dr650
motojunky
DAMN Poohba

Post by motojunky »

cwbashaw wrote:After going back and forth on what bike to get I decided there's no way around it I need 2 bikes, so I'm buying an 05 KLR650 today, and I'm going to start saving up for a smaller dual sport around 250cc's for ripping around on the trails. I think a 250 on the trails will be way more fun than a DR650 and a KLR will be better to load up for camping and longer trips.
I like your line of thinking on this. :thumbup:

Take a good look at the weight of the 250s you're considering. You might find that your current DR is lighter, and is probably pretty OK for dual sport stuff. I use an old dual-sported XR250 and it works OK. Not great, but OK. I just don't ride enough good trail to justify buying anything new to replace it.
old dual sported XR250R
scorpa SY250 trials
some other crap
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

this is absolutely the right DAMN decision! :thumbup:

You might also consider a 450 class bike, you won't regret it on some of the bigger DS rides.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
cwbashaw
DAMN Wanabe

Post by cwbashaw »

Thanks for the advice on the 450. I'll have to look into it once I save a little more cash.

I loved riding my 350 and may even get another one that's a little newer and has electric start. If I had the cash I would have kept the DR for sure.
2015 dr650
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

cwbashaw wrote:After going back and forth on what bike to get I decided there's no way around it I need 2 bikes, so I'm buying an 05 KLR650 today, and I'm going to start saving up for a smaller dual sport around 250cc's for ripping around on the trails. I think a 250 on the trails will be way more fun than a DR650 and a KLR will be better to load up for camping and longer trips.
Having multiple bikes is the way to go if you can swing it. I got by w/ just my DR650 for many years but it is nice to have a dualsported two-stroke for real offroad and the harder dualsport stuff.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200