I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Need advice on what bike to buy

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Re: Need advice on what bike to buy

Post by Rut Row »

Bucho has done just about everything you can imagine on his DR. I rode a KLR650 to James Bay and back (~3600 miles). I used to do the loop at GR on it too. Made a great ADV bike and was cheap - parts are plentiful. I wouldn't buy another because it just didn't "talk" to me. If I was going to stay in the 650 class, I'd likely get the 650GS
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

You are more then welcome to take a test ride on my DR650.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
cwbashaw
DAMN Wanabe

Post by cwbashaw »

Bucho wrote:You are more then welcome to take a test ride on my DR650.
Thanks I'll take you up on that offer sometime soon.
2015 dr650
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

If you have the $$$, KTM 690. I wouldn't ride one on the highway, but I wouldn't ride hardly any moto on the highway. :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
cwbashaw
DAMN Wanabe

Post by cwbashaw »

mdubya wrote:If you have the $$$, KTM 690. I wouldn't ride one on the highway, but I wouldn't ride hardly any moto on the highway. :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:
I've looked for one and they are all just a little out of my range right now. There is a duke in my range but it will probably be gone by the time i sell my bikes. would it be a good dirt road bike? I'm not looking to do anything much crazier than ripping down the roads at the watershed, and maybe do the Shnandoah 500 on it.
2015 dr650
motojunky
DAMN Poohba

Post by motojunky »

If this is real, it could be a deal:

http://delaware.craigslist.org/mcy/2349035704.html

I'm close, if you'd like me to go and take a look. :thumbup:
old dual sported XR250R
scorpa SY250 trials
some other crap
cwbashaw
DAMN Wanabe

Post by cwbashaw »

Thanks for finding that. I'll send them a message right now.
2015 dr650
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

cwbashaw wrote:
mdubya wrote:If you have the $$$, KTM 690. I wouldn't ride one on the highway, but I wouldn't ride hardly any moto on the highway. :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:
I've looked for one and they are all just a little out of my range right now. There is a duke in my range but it will probably be gone by the time i sell my bikes. would it be a good dirt road bike? I'm not looking to do anything much crazier than ripping down the roads at the watershed, and maybe do the Shnandoah 500 on it.
I had a Duke II. Great bike. But the suspension was too short and too stiff on the dirt IMHO. It beat me up and beat up the bike too.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
21783mike
DAMN Expert

Post by 21783mike »

Either the KLR or the DR is what will fill the slot you are looking for.... the DR is a bit less of a pig off road because of a bit less bulk but the KLR will gobble up on road miles a bit more comfortably. I've done 800 mile plus days on my KLR and the big tank and bit more fairing, which make it more of a pig, really are nice on high mileage trips... I'm leaving in a few hrs on the Hyper to do a 2,200+ mile trip and I'm thinking around day 4 my ass will be wishing I took the KLR instead :lol2:
Mike B
08 HYM1100S
08 Raptor 250 SE
06 800SS
87 750 Paso
89 KLR650A
65 H-D M50
64 125 Bronco
cwbashaw
DAMN Wanabe

Post by cwbashaw »

21783mike wrote:Either the KLR or the DR is what will fill the slot you are looking for.... the DR is a bit less of a pig off road because of a bit less bulk but the KLR will gobble up on road miles a bit more comfortably. I've done 800 mile plus days on my KLR and the big tank and bit more fairing, which make it more of a pig, really are nice on high mileage trips... I'm leaving in a few hrs on the Hyper to do a 2,200+ mile trip and I'm thinking around day 4 my ass will be wishing I took the KLR instead :lol2:

I'm still torn between the dr and the klr. The KLR is starting to look better because it seems like it would be a little more fun on longer rides. I'll guess I'll just have to try both. If the klr does well on fire roads at moderate speeds it may be the best option for me.
2015 dr650