I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Movers Quote: no dinner, no drinks no dancing, no lube...

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Roadracer_Al

Movers Quote: no dinner, no drinks no dancing, no lube...

Post by Roadracer_Al »

... just bend me over.

A representative from a moving company just left after doing an estimate. Those of you who've seen my basement know that my tools have tools.

The estimate based on weight and mileage to California was $28,000 dollars. :bash: :bash: :bash: Enough to make a guy start drinking again. :freakey:

There has GOT to be a better way. Anyone have any thoughts about alternate solutions?
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Re: Movers Quote: no dinner, no drinks no dancing, no lube...

Post by Rut Row »

1. Rent a truck for the tools and move them yourself. Go get some day laborers to help load them.
2. Sell them and buy more when you get there. You wan new tools anyway!
3. Pay a neighbor to break in to your house and steal them. Buy new tools there (variation on 2)
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

Then, there's always variation number 4: a gallon of gas and toss a Zippo in the front door. Buy all new stuff when we get there.

Day laborers is a good idea, but only if I buy the steel banding tools I have my eye on. Pretty much sticky-finger-proof.
RRob
DAMN Expert

Post by RRob »

Wow. 28K seems like a really high estimate. I would definately get a second and third opinion.

I have lots of stuff, much of it heavy. For my last move, I rented the largest U-Haul available and paid laborers to help load and unload. I saved a bunch of money, but then again I wasn't moving across the country.

If its any consolation, interstate moving expenses are tax deductible.
Teethgrinder

Post by Teethgrinder »

I've moved 6 times in 7 years. I've found it's best just to put in the work and do the move and driving myself. I have it down to a science now (plus I unload a lot of crap each time to lighten the haul).
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

Yeah, RRob, "high" is an understatement. That's the "we don't want your business" quote.

I think the direction we're likely to take is a 1-way Penske and a car trailer.

A pro truck-driver friend of the family said Penske trucks are bigger/better/more capacity, but more $$ than U-Haul, and their 26-foot is all box, not 23-foot with a 3-foot 'bunkbed' area over the cab.

One of my moving-experienced friends suggested that if we don't **really** like/need something -- i.e. handmade, family, irreplaceable, valuable, costly, etc. -- to just yard-sale it off, and buy a replacement on the other end. He also suggested that if it's particularly fragile, sell it here & replace it there, stuff like dishes, glasses, mirrors, etc.

So, I'm thinking that next weekend, I'm going to have ONE HELL of a yard sale, and probably again in 2 weeks. Y'all come now! Lots of redundant tools, a buncha welding tanks (oxy/acetylene, straight argon, 25% Co2/argon mix, and a small nitrogen tank) probably close to 500 lbs. of steel and aluminum materials, lawn & garden implements, some furniture. Hell, I have a used-once $700 roto-tiller that I don't really want to drag across the country cos I hate gardening. I should start listing the nicer stuff on Craig's List. I'll post here in the market if I think anyone would want it.

My wife's freaking out about it -- she thinks someone is going to stick the rototiller under their shirt and walk off.... but, she has a point -- this week some asshole stole our recycling bins. :rant: Bucho, wanna work security for a yard sale? :target: :thumbup:

Regarding the tax deductiblity, I'm definitely keeping thorough records, but I believe the deduction is only applicable if you're moving for work. We're moving to be close to my wife's family.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

ugh... post tools here first! :brows:

roto-tiller? :shrug: I have no earthly idea why anyone would want one of those :nono::nono::nono:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Teethgrinder

Post by Teethgrinder »

Roadracer_Al wrote:Yeah, RRob, "high" is an understatement. That's the "we don't want your business" quote.

I think the direction we're likely to take is a 1-way Penske and a car trailer.

We moved ourselves from Chicago to DC using a big (24 ft?) one-way U-Haul and a car-trailer for my Jeep (which was sold 2 months after arriving. No way it could pass any inspections, I found. Illinois has none). The cost of the truck + tailer was in the $800-850 range. Of course, the truck couldn't pass a fuel-station, so the gas was pretty high.
RRob
DAMN Expert

Post by RRob »

Roadracer_Al wrote:Regarding the tax deductiblity, I'm definitely keeping thorough records, but I believe the deduction is only applicable if you're moving for work. We're moving to be close to my wife's family.

It doesn't matter "why" you are moving, only that you get a job when you get there. If you or wife will be working full time (or self-employed full time), your moving expenses are tax deductible. The move does not have to be required by an employer to be deductible.

Put simply, there are two requirements for eligibility:

You or your spouse must work full time at the new location.

The new job location must be at least 50 miles farther from the old home then the new home.

Take a few minutes and read this IRS publication. I think you'll like what it says :thumbup: : http://www.irs.gov/publications/p521/
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

Well, since I'm self-employed (or self-unemployed, depending on if I get off my ass and make phone calls), but they freakin' exclude incorporated businesses! WTF?

I'll have to talk to my accountant - I'm actually an employee of my own corporation, maybe that works...

Either way, that's going to ease the tax bill quite a bit.

a