I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Safety gear for dual sport rides

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
cwbashaw
DAMN Wanabe

Safety gear for dual sport rides

Post by cwbashaw »

Since I'm planning on doing lots of dual sport rides this year I was wondering what safety gear I should get.

I already have a mx helmet, boots, gloves, and goggles. My next pruchase is going to be hand guards for the bike. What else should I be getting before going on group rides?
2015 dr650
Ovo
DAMN Poohba

Re: Safety gear for dual sport rides

Post by Ovo »

cwbashaw here is a good thread on the same question that I asked:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1413&p=17434#p17434
14 Tiger800 XCX
09 Husaberg 450 FE
07 Suzuki DRZ400S
cwbashaw
DAMN Wanabe

Post by cwbashaw »

thanks there is some good info in there.
2015 dr650
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

wear the equipment you think is necessary to protect your from the most likely "encounter" you'll have. The other way to look at it is only protect yourself against the accidents you expect to have.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

It is confusing as others have said. I know we often use the term dualsporting, even if it means I'm putting my bike in back of the truck and hualing it out to Greenridge for example. I might use the term dualsporting b/c it means besides riding on the ORV trail I will also buzz around on the street legal dirt roads. But the whole ride will be on dirt. So I will wear pure offroad gear.

If I'm going on a dualsport ride up to Michaux for example. This means riding out of my driveway on pavement and using a mix of paved and dirt backroads to get up to the fun dirt roads of Michuax. Since I'm riding on lots of pavement this means I'm pretty much wearing full street gear. (Maybe if its warm weather I might wear a MX helm and goggles.)
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200