I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

kicking a thumper

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Laoch
DAMN Admin

kicking a thumper

Post by Laoch »

Since I feel like I'm among friends here I will dare to ask HTF do you kick start a four stroke?

I picked up a 91 Dr 250. I figured one KLR crash at GR was enough.
I can get it going easy enough, even in flip flops. That was the ultimate test.

I'm still missing something, where am I trying to get the piston and how do I know when it's there?

I've been kicking two strokes and been spoiled with the "button" on my fours until now.

Can I get some pointers?

Bruce
Bruce
Roadracer_Al

Re: kicking a thumper

Post by Roadracer_Al »

You want to bring it to just past TDC, which is where you feel the resistance of the compression. Just push it "over the hump" and return the kick lever to the top of the stroke, then give it a good sharp kick.

If you have a decompression lever, you want to use it fully open (i.e. decomp lever pulled all the way) to get past TDC. Some bikes like to start with no decomp, some bikes like to start with a slightly open decomp, some like to start with full open decomp. It's all down to the individual bike and state of tune.
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

I had a YZ250F for a while but it kicked over pretty easy. The only trick to that bike was w/ the choke when kicking it cold. The choke kept going back in after each kick. I learned to kick it with one hand down off the carb holding the choke knob out all the way.

My TTR used to be super hard to kick till I changed the jetting and put in a new spark plug.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Thanks guys. It has a decomp lever and I think I'm figuring out the sequence for this bike. I think I just need to get the lever back up to the top before I kick. My right leg is already getting bigger than my left.

We were riding last night and sometimes I'd get it right, up/down/up/down... kick... vrroom!

Next time up/down/up/down kick, curse, up/down/up/down kick, curse, sweat, repeat. :frustrated" You get the picture.

BTW- I use a small bungee to hold out the choke. Works great.

I hope to make it to GR soon with this thing and my son. Lots of downhills so maybe I can just roll start it if it's too hot to kick. :lol2:

Bruce
Bruce
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

If it's particularly hard to start, have it tuned on a dyno.
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Roadracer_Al wrote:If it's particularly hard to start, have it tuned on a dyno.
The independent shop owner/mechanic/old enduro racer dood that I go to can kick it with his left leg in one shot. He also tuned it, cleaned it, etc after I bought it.

It's all me.

Thanks.
Bruce