I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Advice Needed on Birthday Present

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Advice Needed on Birthday Present

Post by Rut Row »

Momma has agreed that I can buy another something with 2 wheels as a birthday present to myself.

I'm debating Dirt101s KTMs. They are a sweet deal but I'm worried about the maintenance KTMs need. The maintenance on a KTM worries me plus buying something cheaper leaves me $$$ for the enduro hack. Also, am thinking that I really should start on a smaller bike since I'm a dirt n00b.

There are 2 Honda CRF250s available locally.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/ ... 51950.html
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/ ... 79607.html

The testosterone laden brain says get the 450EXC. The other brain says get a 250

Thoughts?
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: Advice Needed on Birthday Present

Post by Bucho »

I know those are 250s but they are still mx race bikes. I'd lean towards an enduro or even a nice set up trail/play bike.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
FOX8505

Post by FOX8505 »

Yeah I wouldn't buy the CRF's MX bikes unless you plan on riding motorcross they do not make good trail bike, IMO. Somthing like the CRX, WR, or what ever the KTm equal trail bike is (I don't know KTM products well) I've owned a bunch of MX bikes and if ya plan on riding trail they are horrible. The Suzuki DRZ400E off road only model is my personal favorite.
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

I know dirt101 and his bikes are always meticulously cared for. The KTM's don't require any more maintenance than any other racing type bike with limited oil capacity. The 450 EXC is a real pussycat of a bike with very smooth, manageable power delivery. It will get up and go if you twist the loud handle, but you can cruise along all day at less than 1/2 throttle and it will never try to cause you harm.

BTW-while many people have zero troubles with their CRF series bikes, there are many cases of catastrophic top end failure.

Ask RRob what he thinks of my old school EXC. Personally, I have been stunned by what a good bike it is. While I love my DRZ, the EXC is significantly better in every situation I have ridden it. It feels like I am cheating.

If you want to hear more about dirt101 and his bikes, ping me off list. I can vouch for him in any capacity you may need. :deal:
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

Well, 'fess up, when's the B-Day, and which cheezy diner is hosting the party? :eats:
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Roadracer_Al wrote:Well, 'fess up, when's the B-Day, and which cheezy diner is hosting the party? :eats:
July 31st and I'm throwing the wildest DAMN party you can imagine, with an open bar :freakey: and all the food you can eat! :eats:

However, you must come to Radisson, QE to partake! :loveit:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

mdubya wrote:Ask RRob what he thinks of my old school EXC. Personally, I have been stunned by what a good bike it is.
Had a long chat with Rob and got some great advice. His last words made me question whether or not he had my best interests in mind--he wanted to know if he could ride it. :dry: If I do buy the 450, I better bring a cot to the ORV cuz it might be a long time before he brings it back. :shrug:

I have a call in to Chris. Standby! :ride:
Ken
mtd679
DAMN Wanabe

Post by mtd679 »

Bought a 530 in March and love it. I'm very new to offroad and read in one of the rags that the 530 is actually easier in the woods. Dunno. Mine will always be able to outperform me, and my lack of skill (and vertical shortcomings) probably don't justify the purchase, but who cares. I love the bike and haven't had much of an issue with maintenance. Now if I could only get up enough nerve to do the first valve clearance check.

By the way, ran across an '08 TE on ebay with 96 miles, in Berkley, WV.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motorcyc ... 0252819224&

Good luck!
bunch of bike I don't ride...
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

mtd679 wrote:By the way, ran across an '08 TE on ebay with 96 miles, in Berkley, WV.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motorcyc ... 0252819224&
I love those TE250s with FI. I've been drooling over one of those too. :thumbup:
Ken
restukey
DAMN Expert

Post by restukey »

I am pretty sure that bike is being sold out of Ridersville Cycle. RRob and myself bought bikes from Harold last year. He gives a steep discount on new bikes too.