I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Potomac River Flood

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
gtop

Potomac River Flood

Post by gtop »

Any of you DAMN members interested in helping?

Regional River alert:

Please note, and distribute as best you can, that the Upper Potomac and the Susquehanna River in Pennsylvania, will be unsafe for boaters and anglers for the next week or so.

The tidal Potomac will be affected, when this dirty water and debris reaches it. I am asking all of you to pass this information on to others. “When in doubt—stay out.”

I’ve sent this information to my media friends and client list (bcc), and our webmaster, Bent Nelson, will post this on our website, fish report.

“Point of Rocks” is the gauge I use for safety concerns below Harpers Ferry (I don’t fish there when it’s above 6-feet--predictions are 34 feet,)—and that’s a disaster)—and the river level at Harrisburg, PA, is expected to be 17-feet on Monday (not so bad—but I don’t trust any water above 12-feet here.) The Juniata is just as dangerous)

My concern is of the Potomac River.

When the upper Potomac River floods, as it will, the fish swim shoreward and find sanctuary in the C&O canal (one of America’s dumbest ideas), ditches along railroad tracks--and other depressions above flood level. When the river “falls,” they are trapped. They die.” We have preformed rescue efforts in the past, thanks mostly to the late Butch Ward, as well as Maryland BASS Federation members--and that may/will need to happen again. You would not believe how many fish die when the river falls and the fish are stranded. I photographed hundreds of dead bass in one little depression.

A very concerned angler is gathering a rescue squad. Ben Hynes @ manager798@dcsg.com is the man to reach—and he will coordinate with National Park Service, MD DNR and MD Federation Nation. He/they will need a team of workers that will net, shock, rescue fish and return them to the main stem. This is arduous work but important work.

In the past, NPS has been our hero, offering assistance, opening gates along the C&O Canal and driving us along the river to do our job. I hope that they will participate again—and I trust that they will.

Volunteers should wear hip-boots or waders—and no one should ever take risk. Teams are best, that way you can “look-out” for each other.

The rescues will not be a social event so pack a lunch and carry a cell phone. I know that when I worked on several of those rescues—I felt like a hero when I returned home.

It’s time to zip-up your man suites guys. This is not a macho-event; it must be a coordinated manpower effort. I can promise you one thing—if we do not help in this project—this flood will kill more bass than you have ever caught in your life.

I appreciate your concern, but I hope that you may help. This rise in river level will surely harm this year’s spawn—and damage to younger fish is significant.

Thanks for anything that you can do to spread the danger-word.

Respond to all if you wish, but as of now, manager798@dcsg.com is your first line to help.