I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Maryland Scooter Laws?

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Teethgrinder

Maryland Scooter Laws?

Post by Teethgrinder »

Does anyone know the exact laws that apply to scooters in Md.? My wife expressed interest in a Vespa, but it seems that to buy a Vespa with any real "go" (150-250cc's), it becomes a motorcycle in the eyes of Maryland. Is this the case? She really doesn't want a 50, I think. At what point does she have to get an "M"?

Bucho? Anyone?
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Re: Maryland Scooter Laws?

Post by Rut Row »

Erin (Mrs Bucho) should have the answer - she just got her license.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

Yes. Anything 50cc and over is a motorcycle.

A lot of 49cc models can have the motor either bored out or replaced wholesale -- for example, the Honda monkey bike motors can be replaced with chinese 150cc motors -- and they'll go plenty fast.
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Yes, anything bigger than a 50 is a "motorcycle", requiring a motorcycle license to drive it, and be registered and tagged.

To fit into the 49cc or less "dont have to be tagged" catagory, there are also a few other specifications. I think a step through frame like a scooter or be like a moped. A 50 cc motorcycle still needs to be registered and tagged. Can't getaway w/ driving an XR50 on the road w/ lights and stuff. Most cops probably don't know this, they might ignore you, or they might not...
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Erin's bike is pretty much the perfect learner bike, in my opinion at least. You might be able to talk her into teaching your wife on it, if thats the path your wife wants to take.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200