I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Wet but happy

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Teethgrinder

Wet but happy

Post by Teethgrinder »

I have been commuting full time now on the new WeeStrom, and I find that it is the perfect tool for the task. The tires are great in the rain, even today when it was pouring all the way from Frederick to Beltsville. I am loving this bike.

On the other hand...
My Olympia Phantom one piece "all weather" suit has proven itself not necessarily "all weather! I am soaked, and disappointed, today. Time for better rain gear.
:x
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Re: Wet but happy

Post by Rut Row »

I'm nice and dry. Working from home today :brows:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
RRob
DAMN Expert

Post by RRob »

Teethgrinder wrote:I have been commuting full time now on the new WeeStrom, and I find that it is the perfect tool for the task. The tires are great in the rain, even today when it was pouring all the way from Frederick to Beltsville. I am loving this bike.

On the other hand...
My Olympia Phantom one piece "all weather" suit has proven itself not necessarily "all weather! I am soaked, and disappointed, today. Time for better rain gear.
:x
There are lots of times that I wish I had a V-Strom. Maybe next year. Did you get any bags yet?

As far as gear, I love my Aerostich Darien. Works great in any weather. Rev-it makes really nice stuff too.
Teethgrinder

Post by Teethgrinder »

I am looking at Caribou Cases (Pelicans) all around (Top and sides), but not married to any particular set-up yet. I like Pelican cases a lot. I carry a computer, so the topcase would be optimal.

Gotta sell the DRZ first though. Luggage is spendy!
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Teethgrinder wrote:I am looking at Caribou Cases (Pelicans) all around (Top and sides), but not married to any particular set-up yet. I like Pelican cases a lot. I carry a computer, so the topcase would be optimal.
I have the Caribou Case system, less top box. I like it a lot.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

Yeah, I got a look at Ken's Caribou setup. That's some burly luggage. Daddy likes. It's going to cost me money, I can tell you that.

The best pure rainsuit (as opposed to waterproof riding gear) I have ever owned is, wait for it, a piece of Harley-branded apparel. Really heavy duty for a rainsuit, but not as heavy as rubberized farm overalls (a good thing), very good zipper flap arrangement with velcro the entire length of the zip. The pants have a bib that goes up to mid-chest.

I couldn't tell you if they still make it, I've had mine for probably 7 years, and it's still going strong. At the time, it cost about $120, IIRC. Get your actual jacket size - the suit is cut to go over riding gear, and labeled according to your jacket size. In a true toad-drowning downpour, on the highway, riding 1 hour or more, you will get some infiltration around the collar, and a little bit at the crotch.

Downside, it doesn't pack small whatsoever. The jacket & pant have their own pouch, and together, they will almost fill a small tank bag.
Teethgrinder

Post by Teethgrinder »

I've augmented with a set of simple Tourmaster raingear, and it seems to do the trick. I also bought a pair of Spidi H2Out gloves. The engineers at Spidi (a company I respect) are a bit liberal with the word "waterproof" in regards to these fairly expensive gloves. To their credit, the ride in to work today was an absolute deluge, and may have exceeded the expected limits. Still need to procure better footwear. In time.

The stealthy black V-Strom, on the other hand, is veritably unstoppable in really foul weather. This morning was just plain shitty, and the DL blasted through like a Coast Guard cutter. Stable, even-keeled, and solid. On the way home, in similar conditions, I had enough confidence in it's stability to rock home at 75Mph in the pouring rain and wind.

I can't say enough about this new machine, guys. It really is a good, quality design.
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

Yeah, gloves are a very tricky item to truly make waterproof. I often will rock a pair of surgical gloves under normal gloves - they're also pretty good in cold weather for short jaunts, but your hands will get damp and cold for longer rides.

I have heard good things about the Aerostitch over-glove covers. They have only one seam, which is a lot easier than dozens of seams.
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Was anybody out in the deluge of rain today?
Was northbound on 270 rolling along at 70mph w/ everyone till the downpour started. It brought traffic to a standstill! Some cars pulled into the break down lane and parked /w flashers on. Everyone else slowed to 5mph.
Getting wetter by the second w/ water starting to trickle in through the opened vents I split lanes for the next few miles till the rain lessened to a steady pour and traffic started moving again.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
TyMarp
DAMN Expert

Post by TyMarp »

It rained in Western Md too. But I did a little PreRide ride in anticipation of Fridays ride. The Poplar Lick water crossings were rising. I don't think they would have been do-able this afternoon. It was just a short 95 mile jaunt. My Walmart Stearns jacket only seeped around the waist because the wind flap wasen't velcroed. And my Walmart Herman Survivor leather steel toe work boots soak and hold water wonderfully. These fantistic products can be purchased and any of your local Walmart stores. :screwy: