I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Trials Bug

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Re: Trials Bug

Post by smdub »

Having just gone though the 06 Beta recently and might be able to answer some of your questions.
1) extra plug: Did the bike have a rear light? Betas did but my lights are missing. I found a connector in about the same place that was supposed to connect to that.
2) welds: Get it re-welded.
3) fuel filter: almost all my bikes have some sort of small clear plastic filter retrofitted inline. Either paper or sintered metal element. I've always thought it was a good idea. My large gas RC planes are similar (sintered metal or felt clunk in-tank filter.) I've seen junk in the bottom of my white Scribner fuel jugs that got there SOMEHOW and that sure would make a carb run funny if it was ingested into a jet. I'm half convinced gas from a pump isn't very clean sometimes.
Laoch wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:11 pm Had a good snow ride on Sunday. I really like the trials bike. Fun. I started tearing into it, cuz it's used. Some things I found-
Extra plug hanging out by rear linkage, no other half spotted.
Exhaust welds broken clean through..how do you fix that? New exhaust?
See the clear fuel line..
There was a filter there...automotive type, kinda fat, clear plastic with paper element. I ditched it. Ends of lines were split anyway.
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Boom Boom wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:25 pm No give backs..... :deal:
It's a keeper :deal:

Rear light seems logical.
I try to filter my cans :shrug: Got a nice in tank filter bag deal for the KTM, fits over the hole.
Inline filters to me are just another fail point. This one had the hoses slit on all ends, just waiting to leak.
Bruce
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

For some reason my dad had a life insurance policy that is paying out to me and my brother. So, I'm going to have a little bit of money to blow and I was thinking maybe a trials bike (or, more likely, trialsish bike) is what I'll do. Thanks to an inner ear issue I don't have good balance so I don't really see competition in my future so a 'real' trials bike probably isn't on my list. I'm leaning towards the Oset 24.0R right now as that would get me a back yard toy and something I could take to play on the boulders at the cove and other places with. Seeing some of the videos on the RYP youtube channel it seems the bike would be capable of quite a bit more than I would. I could get a brand new one (although I think I'll need a few additional $$$s out of pocket). The other option in this category would be a used EM. I'm going to do a little searching to see what I could get for my money with one of those. I'm going to cruise youtube and give it some more thought...
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Marylander wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:30 pm For some reason my dad had a life insurance policy that is paying out to me and my brother. So, I'm going to have a little bit of money to blow and I was thinking maybe a trials bike (or, more likely, trialsish bike) is what I'll do. Thanks to an inner ear issue I don't have good balance so I don't really see competition in my future so a 'real' trials bike probably isn't on my list. I'm leaning towards the Oset 24.0R right now as that would get me a back yard toy and something I could take to play on the boulders at the cove and other places with. Seeing some of the videos on the RYP youtube channel it seems the bike would be capable of quite a bit more than I would. I could get a brand new one (although I think I'll need a few additional $$$s out of pocket). The other option in this category would be a used EM. I'm going to do a little searching to see what I could get for my money with one of those. I'm going to cruise youtube and give it some more thought...
thi is what you can do with an Oset

Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

To be fair this is Pat Smage riding and not an average rider. You need to carry speed / momentum to do not things a normal trials bike can do from a dead stop. Kens EM has grunt off the bottom, what I see with the Oset is it lacks that low speed torque. Still nothing like having a clutch to slip and dump or do simple double blips. The e-bikes without clutch needs ridden more like a vintage bike where you just keep rolling. For that same money you could get a twin to Bruces 14 Sherco and have no hold backs other than not being silent.
Lots of good options. As far a balance issues the trials bike will help you gain some balance back. I lost vision in one eye last year(diabetic retina disease) and my depth perception is just toast along with balance. Once eye was healed enough for me to get back on a bike I just needed to suck it up that what I could do I need to learn over or figure a way around my problem....still working on that but am gaining some ground. You don't avoid your problem but hit it head on and your body will learn new tricks.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Marylander wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:30 pm For some reason my dad had a life insurance policy that is paying out to me and my brother. So, I'm going to have a little bit of money to blow and I was thinking maybe a trials bike (or, more likely, trialsish bike) is what I'll do. Thanks to an inner ear issue I don't have good balance so I don't really see competition in my future so a 'real' trials bike probably isn't on my list. I'm leaning towards the Oset 24.0R right now as that would get me a back yard toy and something I could take to play on the boulders at the cove and other places with. Seeing some of the videos on the RYP youtube channel it seems the bike would be capable of quite a bit more than I would. I could get a brand new one (although I think I'll need a few additional $$$s out of pocket). The other option in this category would be a used EM. I'm going to do a little searching to see what I could get for my money with one of those. I'm going to cruise youtube and give it some more thought...
Living in a suburban neighborhood quiet/stealth is a big deal. Being able to play in your backyard and neighborhood every day/week is a HUGE deal.
Having experience with the smaller OSETs, I like what I see with the 24.0 (though Ive never seen one in person). The EMs are obviously better but they are also twice the $$.

Its more electric mountainbike than electric motorcycle but the Luna/Sur Ron Light Bee is also priced competitively with the OSET.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

My limited experience with trials bikes is that they are quiet, not electric quiet, but quiet.
Balance is the same as needed on enduro bike. Learning clutch, brake, weight, counterweight, etc is easier and translates to other styles of riding. Trials bikes are great for trail riding and riding trails that kick your ass on an enduro.
IMHO- get a real trials bike and you will enjoy it and find more uses for it.
I think most folks only compete for fun and to get a good ride in on a Sunday. And honestly the trials competitions don't feel like competitions. It's just fun.
Bruce
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

The appeal of the nearly silent electric bike is a biggie for me. It would make it possible for me to ride off road sorts of stuff a lot more frequently (e.g., in my suburban back yard or possibly even around town). Having some trialsish capability too is a bonus (particularly for back yard play).

I'm not very competitive minded so it's specifically the competition aspect that isn't interesting to me. I would like to do some work on improving my balance but I don't need competition, even if it's over the top friendly competition. This doesn't mean I'm closing the door on the idea of a real trials bike or even competing at some point.

That Luna thing is interesting too. I'm thinking of getting an electric bicycle (with pedals) for when we move to Frederick so I can get a little exercise when I go to the store without having to work too hard going uphill. :)
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Laoch wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:29 am My limited experience with trials bikes is that they are quiet, not electric quiet, but quiet.
Balance is the same as needed on enduro bike. Learning clutch, brake, weight, counterweight, etc is easier and translates to other styles of riding. Trials bikes are great for trail riding and riding trails that kick your ass on an enduro.
IMHO- get a real trials bike and you will enjoy it and find more uses for it.
I think most folks only compete for fun and to get a good ride in on a Sunday. And honestly the trials competitions don't feel like competitions. It's just fun.
Amen Brother Bruce....
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Laoch wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:29 am I think most folks only compete for fun and to get a good ride in on a Sunday. And honestly the trials competitions don't feel like competitions. It's just fun.
this is why it appeals to me. You are competing against yourself. Everyone I've met ay an event is always very encouraging. And it is cheap!
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris