I have been having problems with the server running out of resources and giving errors. It is better but I'm still getting some periodically. Please report any you get to me at ken@kyler.com.

DS Camping Trip - aug 22-23rd

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
hondahawkrider
DAMN Poohba

Re: DS Camping Trip?

Post by hondahawkrider » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:07 am

I make a loop that goes all the way from Columbia to Franklin Wva with no highway (biggest roads are 211 and 15) the problem with doing it that way is that you are at Franklin around noon - and get home at 6pm - with an 8am start from the point of rocks.. The big deal is that these are street roads -once you start adding dirt your average speed goes WAAAAY down... My suggestion would be to meet somewhere south of fredneck at a reasonable decent time in the AM.. and get to near somewhere near the Front Royal area at a decent period in time. Anyone have any better more direct routes south of Fredneck other than 340 (ahem paging Ken, paging ken :lol2: )..

Anyway, if you look at Waterlick just south of where i66 and i81 meet there is Ft Valley Road (678) which is a fun road which could be taken down to 211 take 211 to the other side of New Market (I hate this section of slab on 211 and would love to know other routes) then to 259 to hopkins gap (fun tiny road) to Long run (unknown dirt) go S back to 33 @ the T (unknown dirt) get to franklin and go south (have a good road - but don't know the name) - do PR 44 (allot of dirt) to Gladys fork (I think you need PR1, bit more dirt) - loop back around to Seneca Rocks area and camp... I like the idea of hitting the longest dirt road in the East Coast for bragging rights - but that is just me.....

I am sure there are some other roads - it's just a suggestion. Thoughts?
1997/8 KTM 620 EGS-E Adventure
2013 Honda CB1100
2003 Harley Davidson Wide Glide
1999 Suzuki DR350Se

Rut Row
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Rut Row » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:49 am

hondahawkrider wrote:I make a loop that goes all the way from Columbia to Franklin Wva with no highway (biggest roads are 211 and 15) the problem with doing it that way is that you are at Franklin around noon - and get home at 6pm - with an 8am start from the point of rocks.. The big deal is that these are street roads -once you start adding dirt your average speed goes WAAAAY down... My suggestion would be to meet somewhere south of fredneck at a reasonable decent time in the AM.. and get to near somewhere near the Front Royal area at a decent period in time. Anyone have any better more direct routes south of Fredneck other than 340 (ahem paging Ken, paging ken :lol2: )..

Anyway, if you look at Waterlick just south of where i66 and i81 meet there is Ft Valley Road (678) which is a fun road which could be taken down to 211 take 211 to the other side of New Market (I hate this section of slab on 211 and would love to know other routes) then to 259 to hopkins gap (fun tiny road) to Long run (unknown dirt) go S back to 33 @ the T (unknown dirt) get to franklin and go south (have a good road - but don't know the name) - do PR 44 (allot of dirt) to Gladys fork (I think you need PR1, bit more dirt) - loop back around to Seneca Rocks area and camp... I like the idea of hitting the longest dirt road in the East Coast for bragging rights - but that is just me.....

I am sure there are some other roads - it's just a suggestion. Thoughts?
340 is about the only way across the Potomac anywhere close to here. I'm liking your routes so we could meet at CindyDees on 340 at the bridge near Harpers Ferry. I'll play around with MapSource tonight and see if I can find a backroad route from either Point of Rocks or Harpers Ferry.

Okay - now the hard part - what weekend works best? I'll know later today if the Boss needs surgery again and if so when - so I'm reluctant to go sooner than that

How about:
Aug 15-16
Aug 22-23

Adventure motard? NOT! Code and I will be at the back of the pack smelling the roses as we go.

Ride your 990s. I will be putting some street knobbies on the KLR tho.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris

Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:26 am

Nevermind :screwy:
Bruce

hondahawkrider
DAMN Poohba

Post by hondahawkrider » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:25 am

Kyler wrote:
Ride your 990s. I will be putting some street knobbies on the KLR tho.
if we're going to hit dirt roads - I would rather bring the XR... the 990 (non s) has roadmaster street tires on it at present for touring, that SUCK in the dirt. I have set of scorpions, but those are barely passable...

I will have to check with the Warden and get back to you on some dates.. but I am definately down for this..
2013 Honda CB1100
1999 Suzuki DR350Se

DaWasher

Post by DaWasher » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:45 pm

B DIRT wrote:you guys are gonna put stuff on plated bikes and ride to the campsite???? :lol2:
:poser:

Rut Row
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Rut Row » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:08 pm

DaWasher wrote:
B DIRT wrote:you guys are gonna put stuff on plated bikes and ride to the campsite???? :lol2:
:harhar:

and we are going to take portable Latte Makers... :brows:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris

hondahawkrider
DAMN Poohba

Post by hondahawkrider » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:16 pm

Kyler wrote:
DaWasher wrote:
:harhar:

and we are going to take portable Latte Makers... :brows:
so who IS riding the BMW :jack:
2013 Honda CB1100
1999 Suzuki DR350Se

Rut Row
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Rut Row » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:45 pm

hondahawkrider wrote:so who IS riding the BMW :jack:
you haven't seen The Roundel on my KLR have you :brows:
Ken

AccidentalWheelie

Post by AccidentalWheelie » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:04 pm

id be down if i get my hitch hauler or makeshift boat trailer ready in time... i have a DAMN Yukon not a truck

Rut Row
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Rut Row » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:07 pm

AccidentalWheelie wrote:id be down if i get my hitch hauler or makeshift boat trailer ready in time... i have a DAMN Yukon not a truck
:nono: no trucks - youse gotta ride it there! :dirtdog:
Ken